RPCVs4EA Do Things
What areas are we working on?
What more can we do?
Your participation and input will make a difference for environmental justice.
See our Events Calendarfor information on upcoming events, webinars, meetings, and more.
June 20-23, 2019: We had an information table at NPCA's Heart of Texas/Peace Corps Connect conference in Austin. We also hosted "Anote's Ark," a film and panel discussion on climate change in Kiribati.
June 13, 2019:Webinar with guest speakers Paul Thompson and Mindy Ahler, who gave a presentation, "46 Years After Peace Corps," on their trip to New Zealand and Borneo, Paul’s country of service. Most notably, they helped organize and present at a workshop on plastics pollution and resulting unsafe drinking water.
April 11, 2019: Webinar with Guest speaker Kate Heffernan of the Environmental Voter Project.
March 2019: Information table and membership drive at the NorCal annual membership meeting in San Francisco.
February 19, 2019: Webinar at the Peace Corps Action Team committee with guest speaker Mike Roman. His topic was “Humanizing Climate Change,” focusing on the importance of story-telling when advocating for climate action.
February 18, 2019: Information session and membership drive at an NPCA-sponsored Advocacy Happy Hour in Washington DC.
February 14, 2019: Webinar with guest speaker Paul Thompson, who gave a slide presentation on CCL’s Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (EICDA) proposal.
January 10, 2019: Webinar with guest speaker Uli Nagel, entitled “Pebling for a Carbon Free Future.” As a Citizens' Climate Lobby member, Uli traveled around Florida on her electric PEBL bike, talking with people about climate change and collecting about 200 letters that were presented to their legislators.
November 14, 2018: Webinar with guest speakers Solomon Amuzu of Call to Nature Permaculture - Ghana, and Averill Strasser of Water Charity - U.S.
September 8, 2018: Hosted an information table at the Climate, Jobs, Justice mobilization with 350.org in San Francisco.
August 23 - 25, 2018: We had an information table at NPCA's Peace Corps Connect/Shawnee on Delaware, PA conference. We also held a panel discussion (RPCVs Take Action on the Environment) on our work and why the climate problem is of such concern.
August 9, 2018: Webinar with guest speaker Matt Leonard, Director of Special Projects for 350.org, spoke about the details of Rise for Climate, Jobs and Justice rally in San Francisco.
April 17, 2018: Tyler Lloyd of My Peace Corps Story released a podcast in time for Earth Day, that included interviews with three members.
April 12, 2018: Webinar with guest speaker Eva Schemmel, Science Advisor, Conservation International Hawaii, who spoke on the work she is doing with the Ocean Health Index.
February 8, 2018: We began a partnership with UCapture.com/RPCV to promote carbon offset through online purchases.
December 14, 2017: We hosted CCL members Paul Thompson and Mindy Ahlers in a webinar as they talked about the Low Carbon Crossing summer 2017 bike ride across America to raise awareness about climate change.
- November 11-19, 2017: We promoted the formation of, or participation in, house parties through either 350.org or OFA. The goal was to tell the world that even if the U.S. administration has withdrawn participation in the Paris Agreement (COP23 meetings in Bonn, Germany on November 14), the public remains committed.
350.org: Worked in our community to build a just and equitable Fossil Free world by passing local resolutions calling for 100% renewable energy for all and an immediate halt of all new fossil fuel projects. House Party Planning Resources available. || Planning Kit || Interactive Map.
OFA: shared information to raise awareness to stop the fossil fuel industry, put forward the 100 percent clean energy solutions we need, and fight for a just and equitable world. House Party Planning Resources available at Organizing for America | Climate Action Team || Planning Kit || Interactive map.
September 14, 2017: We hosted guest speaker Elli Sparks of Citizens Climate Lobby at our monthly conference call, with information and action steps on how individuals can be effective lobbyists for the planet.
August 4-6, 2017: We had an information table at NPCA's Peace Corps Connect/Denver conference, with opportunities for people to purchase carbon offsets against their travel.
April 29, 2017: One hundred days after the Trump presidential inauguration, the Peoples Climate Movement organized a protest on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Through Facebook and listserv outreach, the RPCVs for Environmental Action were among over 300,000 people in DC, some as a contingent group, and many more scattered throughout the crowd. In addition, the Northern California Peace Corps Association (NorCal) participated in sister city demonstrations.
September 23-24, 2016: We had an information table at NPCA's Peace Corps Connect/DC conference with opportunities for people to purchase carbon offsets against their travel.
February 1, 2016: Working with 350.org information tools, we prepared a letter to the National Peace Corps Association Board, requesting that they commit to fossil fuel divestment of their funds. We rallied RPCV affiliate groups and members and submitted the letter. After review and preparation of an action plan by the Finance Committee, the proposal was approved on March 5, 2017. Today NPCA is listed on the GoFossilFree Commitments page.
Our members share important actions on outreach to our Congressional representatives and federal agencies in support of environmental policies. Actions to date have included signing petitions, writing letters, and making phone calls on topics like the following.
- June 8-11, 2019: Several members participated in Citizens' Climate Lobby Advocacy Days in Washington DC.
- November 12-13, 2018: One member participated in the Citizens' Climate Lobby Congressional Education Day in Washington DC.
- October 2018: Presentation on global warming in the South Pacific at the Citizens' Climate Lobby Great Lakes Regional Conference
- July 12, 2018: Officially began partnership with Citizens' Climate Lobby by forming a Peace Corps Action Team.
- November 8, 2017: Promoted petition for the #USPeoplesDelegation at COP23 in Bonn, Germany in support of their work for a fossil free world.
- November 6, 2017: Promoted NRDC petition in opposition to 4 EPA and White House appointees.
- November 6, 2017: Promoted 350.org petition to Nebraska government in opposition to KeystoneXL.
- November 5, 2017: Promoted NRDC petition in opposition to Department of Commerce recommendation to decomission marine National Monuments.
- November 3, 2017: Promoted CCL text reminders to call Congress re. Carbon Fee and Dividend on specific action days.